Turkey has established a list of toys that are subject to importation product safety inspections under its Risk-Based Control System on Foreign Trade (TAREKS).
The list is contained in Annex 1 of Communiqué on Import Control of Toys (Products Safety and Inspections: 2020/10 of December 27, 2019 under Number 30991 (Repeat), henceforth referred to as the Communiqué. Toy products subject to these inspections include:
- Bicycles and tricycles (those with a height of less than 435 mm)
- Construction sets
- Die-cast miniature models
- Dolls and doll carriages
- Electric car racing sets
- Electric trains, including tracks, signals and other accessories thereof
- Musical instruments
- Paint sets
- Roller skates
- Toy animals and non-human creatures
- Toy guns
TAREKS is an importation control designed to provide only quality, safe goods to consumers.
The Communiqué also includes provisions relating to the:
- Obligations that toys must comply with:
- Oyuncak Güvenliği Yönetmeliği (OGY) - Turkey’s equivalent to the EU’s Toy Safety Regulation
- Kimyasalların Kaydı, Değerlendirilmesi, İzni Ve Kısıtlanması Hakkında Yönetmelik (KKDIK) - Turkey’s equivalent to the EU’s REACH regulation on chemical restrictions
- Documents to be uploaded to TAREKS for inspection (Annex 2)
This Communiqué was published by the Turkish Ministry of Trade and it came into effect on January 1, 2020. It repeals Communiqué on Import Control of Toys (Product Safety and Inspection: 2019/10) published under Number 30641 (Repeat) dated December 30, 2018
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment, including the EU Toy Safety Directive. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, SVHC screening, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. Learn more about SGS’s Toy & Juvenile Product Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Turkey Issues Toy Import Safety and Inspection Communiqué SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel:(+852) 2774 7420
Yeşim Demir Katipoğlu
HL Sales Team Leader
Tel: +90 212 368 40 00 (Ext 4205)
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.