The South Korean Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE) has held a consultation over a proposal to revise its Common Safety Standard for children’s products subject to certification under Articles 17, 22 and 25 to the Special Act on the Safety of Children’s Products.
The proposal contains several important provisions. Amongst them:
- Clarification on the sum of six phthalates that applies to synthetic
resin products, including coatings on textiles or leather, irrespective of
whether they are intended to be placed in the mouth. The six phthalates are:
- BBP Benzyl butyl phthalate
- DIDP Di-isodecyl phthalate
- DBP Dibutyl phthalate
- DINP Diisononyl phthalate
- DEHP Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate
- DNOP Di-n-octyl phthalate
- Strengthening the restriction limit of lead content in substrates from 300 mg/kg to 100 mg/kg
- Restricting n-nitrosamines and n-nitrosatable substances in children’s
products intended to be placed in the mouth such as pacifiers, teethers,
toothbrushes and balloons, and mouthpieces of children’s products:
- N-nitrosamines: ≤ 0.01 mg/kg (sum)
- N-nitrosatable substances (after nitrosation): ≤ 0.1 mg/kg (sum)
- Repositioning the description of test methods for physical safety requirements to Annex F
The Common Safety Standard applies to products aimed at children under the age of thirteen.
The World Trade Organization (WTO) issued the proposal on August 22, 2019, under document 19-5400, with the consultation running until October 21, 2019. The WTO document states that the proposed date of entry into force will be June 2020 at the earliest.
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. Learn more about SGS’s Toy & Juvenile Product Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full South Korea Proposes to Strengthen its Safety Standard for Children’s Products SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
About SGSSGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.