Taiwan has updated its List of Preservatives in Cosmetic Products, as referred to in Article 6(3) of the Cosmetic Hygiene and Safety Act.
The changes were announced in Notice
No.1081609206 released by the Taiwan Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on
December 5, 2019. These include the deletions
of the following preservatives:
- Alkylisoquinolinium bromide
- (Lauryl isoquinolinium bromide) (2-Dodecylisoquinolin-2-iumbromide)
- Cetylpyridinium chloride
- Thiazolium, 3-heptyl-4-methyl-2-[2-(4-dimethylaminophenyl) ethenyl]-,iodide
- Photosensitizing dyes
There are also amendments to the entries for:
- Alkyl (C12-22) trimethy ammonium bromide and chloride
- Benzalkonium chloride, bromide and saccharinate
- Benzenemethanaminium, N-N-dimethyl-N-[2-[2-[4-(1,1,3,3-tetramethylbutyl)pheno-xy]ethoxy] ethyl]-, chloride
- Salts of benzoic acid and esters of benzoic acid
- Benzoic acid and its sodium salt
- Tosylchloramide sodium
- N,N'-bis(4-chlorophenyl)-3,12-diimino-2,4,11,13-tetraazat-etradeca nediamidine and its digluconate, diacetate and dihydrochloride
- 3-Acetyl-6-methylpyran-2,4 (3H)-dione and its salts
- Ethyl-N-alpha-dodecanoyl-L-arginate hydrochloride
- Glutaraldehyde (Pen-tane-1,5-dial)
- Benzenecarboximidamide, 4,4'-(1,6-hexanediylbis (oxy))bis-and its salts (including isethionate and p-hydroxybenzoate)
- 5-Pyrimidinamine, 1,3-bis (2-ethylhexyl) hexahy-dro-5-methyl
- Inorganic sulphites and hydrogensulphites
- Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate and its salts Propyl 4-hydroxybenzoate and its salts
- 4-Hydroxybenzoic acid and its Methyl-and Ethyl-esters, and their salts
- Phenylmercuric salts (including borate)
- Salicylic acid and its salts
- 5-Chloro-2-(2,4-dichloro-phenoxy) phenol
- Undec-10-enoic acid and its salts
- Pyrithione zinc
- Methanol, (phenylmethoxy-)
To learn more about these amendments and the deletions, review our original SafeGuard 016/20.
These changes will come into force on July 1, 2020. Stakeholders should be aware that products manufactured before June 30, 2020 can continue to be sold within their expiry date (subject to the manufacturing date).
SGS Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services
SGS provides testing, inspection, auditing and consulting services to manufacturers, distributors and importers to ensure a high level of product quality in every area. A global network of state-of-the-art laboratories offer custom-made solutions for chemical, biophysical, microbiological, stability and biological aspects. Learn more about SGS’s Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Taiwan Updates its List of Preservatives in Cosmetic Products SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Queenie Ho-yan TSE
Assistant Technical Service Manager
Tel: +852 2765 3672
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.