The European Union (EU) has recalled some hand disinfectants, otherwise known as hand sanitizers, from markets following market surveillance.
Several hand disinfectants have been withdrawn from sale across the EU under RAPEX, the EU’s rapid alert system for dangerous non-food products. Market surveillance found these products to be non-compliant in various ways, rendering them potentially dangerous to human health.
Non-compliant products are subject to:
- Recall from end users
- Prior conditions before marketing
- Removal from online marketplace listings
- Withdrawal from the market
According to recent RAPEX reports, the three main reasons for non-conformity were:
- Chemical risk – some products contained methanol, which is an acute toxic substance that is harmful to the eyes and nervous system. Ingestion or skin contact can cause blindness or death
- Health risk – the product contains insufficient active substance (e.g. ethanol or propan-2-ol) to kill bacteria or inactivate viruses, thereby increasing the risk of infection for the user
- Fire risk – the products lacked appropriate hazard pictograms and warnings. Products containing alcohol do pose a risk of fire if they are in the presence of an ignition source and so they must display the appropriate hazard pictograms and warnings as contained in the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulation and Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR)
Manufacturers and suppliers of hand disinfectants are advised to now check their products conform to the latest EU regulations.
SGS Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services
SGS provides testing, inspection, auditing and consulting services to manufacturers, distributors, and importers to ensure a high level of product quality in every area. A global network of state-of-the-art laboratories offer custom-made solutions for chemical, biophysical, microbiological, stability and biological aspects. Learn more about SGS’s Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services.
In addition, SGS Digicomply is an advanced regulatory compliance management platform that helps manufacturers stay informed on regulatory and legislative changes.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full EU RAPEX: Hand Disinfectant Recalls SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Queenie Ho-yan TSE
Assistant Technical Service Manager
Tel: +852 2765 3672
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing, and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.