SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection, and certification company, has become the first organization to be approved for the testing of crib mattresses against the new US safety standard for crib mattresses – 16 CFR Part 1241.
Taking effect on August 15, 2022, the new safety standard applies to full-size and non-full-size crib mattresses, as well as after-market mattresses for play yards and non-full-size cribs.
Testing will be undertaken at SGS’s 4,095 square foot laboratory in Fairfield, New Jersey. This facility has undergone an upgrade this year and provides a ‘one stop shop’ for manufacturers and retailers seeking complete juvenile product analysis, with specialist crib mattress testing services.
Piyush Shah, SGS Technical Director, said: “We’re proud to lead the way in gaining this latest approval from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). It recognizes the quality and integrity of our specialist facilities and the services we provide at our state-of-the-art testing laboratory in Fairfield.”
Catherine Follin Arbelet, SGS Juvenile Products Global Expert, said: “Juvenile products have always been a core focus of our service and we are delighted to now expand our testing capability to provide a total solution to the juvenile products industry. For consumers around the world, we believe it’s only trusted because it’s tested.”
‘Safety Standard for Crib Mattresses – 16 CFR Part 1241’ includes modifications to the voluntary standard to address the following hazards:
- Suffocation associated with crib mattresses from overly soft mattresses
- Entrapment associated with full-size crib mattresses, due to poor mattress fit from compression by sheets
- Entrapment associated with after-market, non-full-size crib mattresses, due to lack of dimensional requirements for rectangular-shaped products
- Laceration associated with coils and springs breaking and poking through mattresses
- Risks of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) and suffocation related to infant positioning, soft bedding and gap entrapment, by improving the labeling and instructional literature requirements to better communicate risks to consumers
16 CFR 1130 – Requirements for Consumer Registration of Durable Infant or Toddler products – has also been updated to include ‘crib mattresses’ in its list of products subject to the rule.
SGS furniture and mattress testing services
SGS offers comprehensive furniture and mattress testing solutions to help the industry assess safety and durability in a wide range of indoor and outdoor furniture products for adults and children, including:
- Mechanical testing
- Chemical testing
- Finish testing
- Textile testing
- Flammability testing
- Electrical safety and performance testing
- Comparison testing/fit for use (FFU) test/performance test
Learn more about SGS’s furniture and mattress testing: Furniture Flammability Testing.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 96,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.