On December 28, 2018, China released a new national standard for footwear – GB/T 36975-2018 General Requirement for Footwear.
Issued by the People's Republic of China State Administration of Market Supervision and Management, and National Standardization Management Committee, GB/T 36975-2018 covers footwear for everyday use. It does not cover footwear designed specifically for:
- Occupational use
This comprehensive new standard defines terms and definitions, classification, requirements, test methods, inspection rules and marks, packaging, transportation, storage, etc.
For manufacturers and suppliers, highlights of the technical requirements include:
- Symmetric, flat, clean, no broken needles or exposed nail tips inside the shoes
- Insoles must fit properly
- Feather line must be neat and tight
Bonding durability of
- Slipper ≥25N/cm, others ≥40N/cm. When material is torn but still bonded, ≥30N/cm
force of upper:
- ≥70 N/cm
- When material is torn but upper is not put out at joint of feather line ≥30N/cm
resistance of whole shoe:
- No crazing or crack grain on upper
- Length of bonding failure on sidewall, upper-sole or outsole ≤10.0mm
- New cracks – no more than 3 positions on outsole and each crack ≤5.0mm
- No coating damage on sole
- No cracking on welt
- No air (liquid) leakage if assembled with air (liquid) cushion
- When material is torn but still bonded ≥30N/cm
- Abrasion resistance of outsole: length of abrasion ≤15.0mm
between outsole and midsole:
- Men and women ≥20N/cm, when cellular sole is torn but still bonded ≥15N/cm
- Children ≥18N/cm, when cellular sole is torn but still bonded ≥13N/cm
fastness to rubbing of lining and insole:
- Suede material staining ≥Grade 2-3
- Fur, artificial wool ≥Grade 3
- Others ≥Grade 2-3
- Heel attachment strength: ≥700N
- Shank: lowest length, stiffness, hardness, bending property of steel shank must comply with the requirements in GB/T 28011
flexing resistance at cold temperature (only applies to shoes for low
- No visible damage on upper material (include crazing, crack grain) after flexing for 30,000 cycles at (-10±2) ℃
carcinogenic arylamines dyes:
- Textiles ≤20mg/kg
- Leather, fur ≤30mg/kg
- Infant shoe ≤20 mg/kg
- With direct contact to skin ≤75mg/kg
- Without direct contact to skin ≤300mg/kg (The Aries sheared≤600mg/kg)
Stakeholders should be aware the new standard will come into effect on July 1, 2019.
SGS Softlines Services
SGS has a worldwide network of over 40 state-of-the-art laboratories specializing in testing of apparel, footwear and home textiles. Their committed team is drawn from multi-disciplinary backgrounds, allowing them to carry out a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. SGS helps companies ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Learn more about SGS’s Softlines Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full China's newly issued footwear national standard – GB/T 36975-2018 <General Requirement for Footwear>SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Consumer and Retail — Softlines
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
Tel: +1 973 461 7919
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.