On July 1, 2018, China’s new national standard for baby carriers came into effect. Issued by the National Technical Committee for Garments, part of the Standardization Administration of China, GB/T 35270-2017, is China’s first standard for baby carriers and was included in the No. 32 announcement of newly approved national standards issued in 2017.
The standard defines a baby carrier as a product that is normally made from sewn fabrics and/or other attachment construction. It is designed for use by infants aged up to 36 months, with the carrier normally being ‘worn’ vertically by the parent or carer. The standard covers carriers that are intended for children who need to have their heads need a certain amount of support, normally at about the age of four months.
The standard includes tests for:
- Appearance - total appearance, shell, sewing thread, sewn and attachment
Materials - textile
fabrics, filling material and attachments:
- Textile fabrics - requirements for formaldehyde content, pH value, odor, banned azo colorants, colorfastness (water, perspiration, rubbing, saliva, light, light of textiles wetted with artificial perspiration), total content of heavy metal, migration of certain elements and phthalate content
- Filling materials - requirements for formaldehyde content, pH value, odor and general technical requirements for products with filling materials (China compulsory standard: GB18383)
- Attachments - requirements for connector clip, phthalate content of plastic and attachment which may touch infant’s teeth
- Construction - leg openings, hazardous sharp points and edges, small parts, infant restraint system, adult attachment system and dynamic load
- Flammability - total product requirements for the rate of the spread of flame, judgement and marking
- Needle detection process must be performed before delivery (finished products must not contain sharp items such as residual metal needles)
- Instructions for use – should include more information, especially warnings messages
To learn more about China’s new industry standard for baby carriers - GB/T 35270-2017 – stakeholders should refer to the original document or contact a specialist testing and certification company.
SGS Softlines Services
SGS is the world’s leading testing and certification company. With a worldwide network of over 40 state-of-the-art laboratories specializing in softline testing, their committed team is drawn from multi-disciplinary backgrounds, allowing them to carry out a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. SGS helps companies ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Learn more about SGS’s Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full SafeGuardS.
Subscribe to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Director Technical Support, Softlines
Tel: +1 973 461 7919
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.