SGS, the world’s leading testing inspection and certification company, is reminding stakeholders that Uganda intends to publish a new standard for food contact materials and articles.
The World Trade Organization (WTO) circulated a draft standard on June 22, 2022. It contains several important requirements:
- Food contact surfaces and materials, including active and intelligent materials, used for manufacturing must meet good manufacturing practices (GMP) and general safety requirements
- Food grade raw materials and colorants must be used for manufacturing
- Printing inks applied to the non-food contact side of materials and articles must not transfer substances from the printed surface
- Food contact materials and articles must not transfer their constituents to food in quantities exceeding overall migration and/or specific migration limits
- Food contact packaging materials must be manufactured and handled in a hygienic manner – in accordance with US ISO/TS 22002-4 ‘Pre-requisite programs on food safety – Part 4: Food packaging manufacturing’
- Labeling requirements on each consignment and or packing slips are specified, and must include the words ‘for food contact use’ or the glass and fork symbol (Section 8)
- Products conforming to the standard may be marked with the Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) Certification Mark
For greater detail on the requirements in the draft regulation, including highlights of the section 4.7 ‘Migration’ with specified migration limits, stakeholders are advised to review SGS’s original SafeGuardS 086.22.
SGS Food Contact Material Services
SGS’s technical experts have extensive experience of testing materials and articles in contact with food. They can ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. SGS offers the full range of testing, including migration tests, along with expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS’s Food Contact Material Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Uganda Proposes New Standard for Food Contact Materials and Articles SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr. HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 96,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.