SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, is reminding stakeholders that Maryland has become the latest US state to prohibit per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in several categories of consumer products.
The state’s governor signed SB 273 into law on April 21, 2022. Among the provisions in the new law:
- PFAS prohibited from being intentionally added to Class B fire-fighting foam (FFF), rugs, carpets and certain food packaging materials. NB. second-hand rugs and carpets are exempted
- Disposal of Class B FFF with intentionally added PFAS forbidden in certain settings, e.g., landfill
- Sellers of personal protective equipment (PPE) for firefighters with PFAS mandated to give written notice to purchasers of the inclusion of PFAS. Must be kept for three years minimum
These requirements will come into effect on January 1, 2024. Stakeholders should be aware that the enforcement dates for prohibition on Class B FFF depend on usage:
- Airports, ports, refineries and chemical plants – September 30, 2024
- Terminals – December 31, 2027
- Allowed to be used by any applicable date specified in federal law for persons who require to use Class B FFF that contains intentionally added PFAS
For food contact packaging materials – substantially composed of paper, paperboard, or other materials derived from plant-fibers – plastic disposable gloves for food preparation, rugs and carpets, the manufacturer must establish a certificate of compliance (CoC).
PFAS are defined in the law as a class of fluorinated organic chemicals that contain at least one fully fluorinated carbon atom.
SGS Chemical Testing
SGS offers a comprehensive range of testing services to help manufacturers and suppliers ensure their products are safe and comply with national and international regulations concerning harmful chemicals. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS Chemical Testing Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Maryland, USA, Regulates PFAS in Certain Consumer Goods SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr. HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 96,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.