Health Canada has published new
regulations relating playpens. The legislation covers products which create an
enclosed play area for children up to a height of 90 cm, and which has sides
that are attached to its floor. In addition, at least one of these must be made
from textiles or other pliable materials, and none of the structure can be
The new Playpen Regulation, SOR/2018-186, strengthens construction and performance requirements, improving safety in the following areas:
- Entrapment in openings in the textile sides of playpens and sleep accessories
- Floor pad spacing and mattress pad spacing
- Angles of sleep surfaces
- Latching and locking of top rails
- False latch
- Top rail configuration
- Top rail to corner post attachment
- Entanglement on projections
- Corner post height
- Floor pad thickness
- Openings — finger entrapment
- Floor pad vertical displacement
- Strength of playing surfaces
- Mesh opening sizes
- Mesh and fabric attachment strength
- Number of wheels
- Accessories — entrapment
- Side height of sleep accessories
- Mattress pad thickness of sleep accessories
- Integrity of playpen accessories
- Angle of sleep accessories that rock or swing
- Allowance for the use of a pouch to store assembly and use instructions
SOR/2018-186 replaces and repeals SOR/2016-189 and it is aligned with SOR/2016-152 – Cribs, Cradles and Bassinets Regulations – and applicable US requirements (16 CFR 1221).
Health Canada published the new regulations in the Canada Gazette on October 3, 2018, meaning the new rules will come into effect on April 3, 2019.
Stakeholders are advised to now check their products are compliant with the latest requirements for playpens being offered onto the Canadian market.
SGS Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They offer physical and mechanical tests, chemical tests, packaging evaluation, and inspections to ensure the products comply with target market regulations. SGS offers a one-stop solution to testing and compliance for the juvenile product sector. Learn more about SGS’s Services
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full SafeGuardS.
Subscribe to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Technical Manager (Hardlines)
Tel: +1 (905) 364-3757
Juvenile Products International Expert
Tel: + 33 6 28 50 25 88
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.