An application notice relating to the updated standards for mezzanine beds has been published in the Journal Officiel de la République Française (JORF). It relates to Decree No 95-949, which seeks to reduce risks associated with the use of bunk beds in domestic or contract environments.
The application notice relates to mezzanine beds. These are defined as fixed-based, with the bed platform more than 600 mm from the ground, and with a base width greater than 120 cm and base length longer than 150 cm.
The two updated standards are:
- NF D 62 100-1:2019 Fixed base mezzanine beds - Part 1 : safety requirements
- NF D 62 100-2:2019 Fixed base mezzanine beds - Part 2 : testing methods
The previous versions of these standards
were released in 2010. The new versions contain several changes that will
impact manufacturers and distributors, including:
- Greater homogeneity with wording in EN 747
- Minimum bed base height reduced to 600 mm from 800 mm
- Clarification to “May Harm the User”
- Finger entrapment requirement now based on CEN/TR 13387 and accessibility has been defined
- Products fixed to the wall must now have stability and strength tests, performed in accordance with the proposed usage
- New requirement relating to platform access
- Most requirements aligned with EN 747
The standard reference for bunk beds and high beds remains EN 747-1+A1:2015 and EN 747-2+A1:2015.
Stakeholders should remember that “Brush Decree” No 2019-1007, published on September 30, 2019, will modify Decree No 95-949 in terms of administration.
SGS Furniture Services
SGS helps you deliver well-designed, functional, durable and safe products to your customers. We have the furniture industry, regulatory and technical expertise to check your products’ compliance against relevant standards and/or your own specifications. Learn more about SGS’s Furniture Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full In France, Application Notice n°95-959 for High Beds has Been Published in JORF SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
International Furniture Technical and BD Manager
Tel: +33 6 20 09 86 14
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.