Stakeholders are reminded that the European Union’s standard for cot and crib mattresses has been amended with the publishing of Amendment A1 to EN 16890:2017.
Original published in May 2017 by the European Committee for Standardization (CEN), the standard covers mattresses used in children’s cots, travel cots, cribs and suspended baby beds. It applies to products used in both domestic and non-domestic settings and includes bases and toppers.
Updates to the standard brought in by Amendment 1 include:
- ‘Chemical hazards’ clause now refers to EN 71-3:2019
- Method to check nominal dimensions relating to the size of the mattress to cot/crib updated with a tolerance on width/length of +25/0 mm. Thickness must also be indicated and verification made to ensure the thickness of the mattress does not exceed the nominal value
- Decorative stitches and quilting are explicitly excluded from strength and slippage requirements and information is given on the wording ‘other fabrics’ to be tested
- Requirements introduced to limit the length or the perimeter of cords/loops to prevent strangulation hazards
- Additional information to ensure durability tests are conducted in the same way in every test premises
EN 16890:2017 is currently listed in the EU Official Journal as showing compliance to the General Product Safety Directive and its amendment will be published shortly.
This amendment was published in June 2021 and Member States bound to CEN/CENELEC rules must withdraw conflicting national standards in December 2021. In the UK and EU countries where national legislation exists, e.g., Ireland and France, national legislation must be followed.
SGS Childcare Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. Learn more about SGS’s Childcare Product Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Amendment to the European Standard on Mattresses for Cots and Cribs SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Juvenile Products International Expert
Tel: +33 6 28 50 25 88
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 93,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.