The European Chemical Agency (ECHA) has launched a public consultation on the proposal to include two new substances on the Candidate List. The two substances are:
- Bis(2-(2-methoxyethoxy)ethyl)ether (Tetraglyme) – ninth glycol ether identified as the Substance of Very High Concern (SVHC) if the proposal is accepted
- Dioctyltin dilaurate, stannane, dioctyl-, bis(coco acyloxy) derivs., and any other stannane, dioctyl-, bis(fatty acyloxy) derivs. wherein C12 is the predominant carbon number of the fatty acyloxy moiety
Uses for Tetraglyme include:
- Manufacturing soldering fluxes/solder pastes
- Solvent for production of binders for paints
- Ingredient in paint strippers and adhesive removers
- Additive for the fixation of resins in durable-press cotton and cellulosic fabrics
The second substance is used as a stabilizer and catalyst in plastics and rubber.
Both substances are considered toxic for reproduction, category 1B.
The ECHA opened the public consultation, the second of 2020, on September 1, 2020. They will be accepting comments until October 16, 2020.
If the proposals are accepted, the Candidate List will expand to 211 substances.
SGS REACH Services
SGS keeps interested parties informed about developments and changes to REACH regulations. Their expertise, combined with consultancy services and experience in consumer product supply chains, provides a central point of contact for global solutions. Learn more about SGS’s REACH Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full EU – ECHA Started Second 2020 SVHC Consultation on Two Proposals SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Assistant R&D Manager
Tel: +852 2204 8339
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.