The European Union (EU) has published a revision to Regulation (EU) 10/2011, its controls covering food contact plastics. The modification was published as Regulation (EU) 2019/37 on January 11, 2019.
Among other requirements, the update includes:
- Table 1 of Annex I – four substances replaced and three added to the list of authorized substances
- Table 2 of Annex I – one completely new entry for a group restriction of three substances – expressed as crotonic acid
- Replacement of specification for 3-hydroxybutanoic acid-3-hydroxypentanoic acid, copolymer (FCM substance no. 744) with a specific migration limit for crotonic acid
Table 3 to
Point 4 of Annex III – two rows replaced covering the use of food simulants for
certain foods, to show compliance with overall migration limits:
- 50% ethanol for aqueous and alcoholic food and milk products with a pH ≥ 4.5
- 3% acetic acid and 50% ethanol for aqueous and alcoholic food and milk products with a pH < 4.5
Previously, neither food simulant had a pH value attached to them.
Published on January 11, 2019, the new regulation comes into effect on January 31, 2019. Regulation (EU) 2019/37 does allow for food contact plastics that are compliant with the previous rules to be placed onto the market until January 31, 2019. These may then remain on the market until stocks are exhausted.
SGS Food Contact Material Services
SGS’s technical experts have extensive experience of testing materials and articles in contact with food, including analytical and consultancy for PFAS chemicals. They can ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. SGS offers the full range of testing, including migration tests, along with expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review. Learn more about SGS’s Home Furnishings & Houseware Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full SafeGuardS.
Subscribe to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel:(+852) 2774 7420
About SGSSGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.