The European Union (EU) has announced its intention to amend its draft legislation concerning the use of bisphenol A (BPA) in food contact plastics and food contact varnishes and coatings. The amendment, attached to World Trade Organisation (WTO) document number 17-4734, will alter the draft legislation previously notified in document number 16-1443 of March 14, 2016.
The main changes are:
- Strengthening the migration limit for BPA from 0.6 mg/kg to 0.05 mg/kg under Regulation (EU) 10/2011, the so-called ‘Food Contact Plastics Regulation’
- Expanding the proposed migration limit of 0.05 mg/kg for BPA to food contact varnished or coated materials and articles
- Requiring a Declaration of Conformity (DoC) for food contact varnished or coated materials and articles
- Prohibiting BPA migration in food contact plastics and food contact varnished or coated materials and articles intended for infants and young children for food categories falling under Regulation (EU) 609/2013.
- These categories of food are:
- Food for special medical purposes
- Infant formula and follow-on formula
- Processed cereal-based food and baby food
- Total diet replacement for weight control
The amendment has not altered the prohibition on the use of BPA in polycarbonate infant feeding bottles.
Stakeholders should be aware that the latest proposal does include the provision for food contact plastics and food contact varnished or coated materials and articles to remain on the market after the effect date, until stocks are exhausted. If approved, the effective date could be late 2018 and manufacturers and suppliers are now advised to check compliance against the latest requirements for food contact materials and articles in Europe.
To read our article, Complexity in Food Contact Material Regulations: A European Perspective.
SGS Home Furnishings & Houseware Services
SGS’s technical experts have extensive experience of testing materials and articles in contact with food. They can ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. SGS offers the full range of testing, including migration tests, along with expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review. Learn more about SGS’s Home Furnishings & Houseware Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full EU Amends Proposal For BPA In Food Contact Materials And Articles SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Hing Wo Tsang PH.D
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel:(+852) 2774 7420
About SGSSGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.