China has released revised versions of its standards for male and female suits and coats. The National Technical Committee of Garments of the Standardization Administration of China published the standards in Announcement No.32 of 2017. These standards will replace the 2009 editions, which will come into effect on July 1, 2018.
The two standards are:
- GB/T 2664-2017 - men’s suits and coats
- GB/T 2665-2017 - women’s suits and coats
Both standards cover woolen suits and coats that are made of pure wool, a wool blend, or interwoven or wool-like textile materials. The standards do not cover clothing for infants aged 36 months or less.
The 2017 versions of these standards contain a number of important technical updates, including changes to:
- Applicable scope of the standard
- Normative references
- Instruction for use of products
- Requirements for accessories, top and blind stitch and buttonhole stitch size and spacing density, seam performance, peeling force of parts covered with adhesive interlinings
- Test methods for size measurement, dimensional change after dry-cleaning, colorfastness to dry cleaning, seam properties, colorfastness to light and reinspect rules
- Judgment basis of appearance defect
- Items for children aged 36 months to 14 years, should comply with the requirements of GB 31701
- Requirements of skewness for striped and checked patterns, colorfastness to perspiration, appearance after washing/dry-cleaning
- Test method for the safety performance of children’s clothing, appearance after washing/dry-cleaning, sharpness of attached components, seam performance and type of inspection
The latest versions of GB/T 2664 and GB/T 2665 have also deleted clauses relating to:
- Button stitch size spacing density
- Annex A - Test methods for seam slippage
Finally, the new standards – GB/T 2664-2017 and GB/T 2665-2017 – also list tests for: fiber content, formaldehyde content, pH value, banned azo colorants, odor, dimensional change after washing, dimensional change after dry cleaning, colorfastness for shell (washing, dry cleaning, water, perspiration, rubbing, light), colorfastness for lining (washing, dry cleaning, dry rubbing, water, perspiration), colorfastness for decorations and embroidery (washing, dry cleaning), peeling force for parts covered with adhesive interlining, pilling property for shell, seam properties, tear strength for shell, appearance after washing and/or dry cleaning.
Stakeholders are advised to check their products comply with the latest versions of both standards in order to remain compliant. SGS offers a range of services to help manufacturers understand and implement both standards.
SGS Softlines Services
SGS has a worldwide network of over 40 state-of-the-art laboratories specializing in softline testing. Their committed team is drawn from multi-disciplinary backgrounds, allowing them to carry out a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. SGS helps companies ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Learn more about SGS’s Softlines Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full China Releases New Standards for Men’s suits and Coats– GB/T 2664-2017 and Women’s Suits and Coats– GB/T 2665-2017 SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Director Technical Support, Softlines
Tel: +1 973 461 7919
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.