China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) and its Standardization Administration have published nine mandatory volatile organic compound (VOC) standards for a variety of products.
The standards include methodologies and limits for VOCs and other harmful substances in:
- Interior floor coatings - GB 38468-2019
- Marine coatings - GB 38469-2019
- Woodcare coatings - GB 18581-2020
- Architectural wall coatings - GB 18582-2020
- Vehicle coatings - GB 24409-2020
- Industrial protective coatings - GB 30981-2020
- Adhesives - GB 33372-2020
- Printing ink - GB 38507-2020
- Cleaning agents - GB 38508-2020
The standards form part of the response to the release by the State Council of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) of a ‘Three-year Plan to Win the Battle for a Blue Sky’. Issued in 2018, this seeks to improve air quality by implementing VOC remediation plans for various key VOC emitting industries – petrochemical, chemical, industrial coatings, packaging, printing, etc. By banning the production and use of high VOC content solvent-based coatings, inks and adhesives, the aim is to reduce total VOC emission by over 10% in 2020 (compared to 2015).
A plan to achieve this – ‘2020 Volatile Organic Compounds Management Plan’ – was announced by the Ministry of Ecology and Environment of the PRC (MEE) in June 2020. The implementation of these nine standards is part of this initiative.
The standards will come into effect on various dates in 2020 and 2021:
- GB 38468-2019 – July 1, 2020
- GB 38469-2019 – July 1, 2020
- GB 18581-2020 – December 1, 2020
- GB 18582-2020 – December 1, 2020
- GB 24409-2020 – December 1, 2020
- GB 30981-2020 – December 1, 2020
- GB 33372-2020 – December 1, 2020
- GB 38507-2020 – April 1, 2021
- GB 38508-2020 – December 1, 2020
SGS VOC Testing Services
SGS offers a range of VOC testing capabilities to help businesses around the world comply with mandatory national standards. They are fully accredited by the China Metrology Accreditation (CMA) for analyzing VOCs in coatings, adhesives, inks and cleaning agents. Learn more about SGS’s VOC Testing Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full CHINA’S STANDARDIZATION ADMINISTRATION RELEASES NINE VOC STANDARDS SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Technical Supervisor, EET RSTS
Tel: (86) 574 8776 7006 ext. 6007
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.