The Californian city of Santa Rosa has become the latest jurisdiction to prohibit per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in food ware and/or food ware accessories for dine-ins, take-outs, or in retail establishments or at city-sponsored events.
The signing of Ordinance No. ORD-2021-008 ‘Zero Waste Food Ware Ordinance’ into law means:
- Polystyrene foam (Styrofoam) can no longer be used in food service ware
- Dine-in food
facilities must now:
- Use only reusable food ware and reusable food ware accessories
- Offer condiments in a reusable dispenser or format (pre-packaged single-use packets are banned)
- Food facilities must provide food ware accessories (items normally provided alongside prepared food) only upon request
The ordinance was signed into law on August 19, 2021 and adds a new Chapter 9-30 to the City Code. The ban will come into effect on January 1, 2022.
Definitions contained in the law include:
- ‘Food ware’ – all bowls, boxes, containers, cups, lids, plates, trays and other similar items that are used for prepared foods
- ‘Food ware accessories’ – types of item that are normally provided alongside prepared food, including but not limited to beverage trays, chopsticks, cocktail sticks, condiment containers, cup sleeves, forks, knives, napkins, plate-liners, splash sticks, spoons, stirrers, straws, toothpicks, tray-liners and wrappers
Within retail settings, this ban on BPA includes coolers, ice chests or similar containers, unless these are wholly encapsulated or encased within a more durable material so can be reused.
SGS Food Contact Materials Services
SGS’s technical experts have extensive experience of testing materials and articles in contact with food. They can ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. SGS offers the full range of testing, including migration tests, along with expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review. After all, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS’s Food Contact Materials Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Santa Rosa, USA, Bans PFAS in Food Ware and Food Ware Accessories in Food Facilities SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 93,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.